CONTACT: Samuel Merchant
Insights About this Role
von Holzhausen is seeking an R&D Chemist to work in its rapidly scaling, fast-paced innovation lab, located in the Los Angeles area in Torrance, CA. This role is critical to the success of the business, contributing to the goal of creating 100% plant-based, petroleum-free materials that help conserve our atmosphere and oceans. The company is looking for highly motivated individuals with a proven track record in the design, formulation, and analysis of functional, next-generation alternative materials.
- Propose novel polymer chemistries to achieve design and performance objectives.
- Perform quick ideation and experiments to realize concepts.
- Present concepts and findings to the team during weekly reviews.
- Serve as the primary source for material chemistry expertise, information, and analysis.
- Tune chemistries to hit performance and design requirements.
- Work efficiently within a fast-paced environment.
- Manage direct reports including interns to ensure business goals are prioritized and met.
- Write clear protocols, reports, and SOPs and communicate results/recommendations to the team.
- Coordinate testing criteria with internal team and clients.
- Submit and track samples to external testing laboratories.
- Run performance testing and analyze data on all materials.
- Propose product improvement based on performance results.
- Perform QC testing, analyze the results, and suggest improvements.
- Create presentations to the internal team and our clients.
- Support patent or licensing applications.
- Proactively research new materials and technologies within the space and identify opportunities.
- Maintain a clean, safe laboratory work area.
- Manage the laboratory data and documentation.
- MS / Ph.D. Degree in polymer chemistry, physical chemistry, organic chemistry, or similar applied science field.
- At least 5+ years of professional experience as a formulation or product development scientist.
- Experience in a start-up environment with tight deadlines is desirable.
- An innovator and creative thinker with knowledge of next-generation alternative materials, chemistries, and processes.
- Proven ability to innovate novel polymer chemistries to achieve design and performance objectives.
- Expertise with data analysis.
- Good analytical problem-solving skills to make timely and accurate decisions.
- Expertise working with high-level external clients.
- Comfort working independently in the lab in a fast-paced environment.
- Comfort with high level of autonomy as well as a goal-oriented approach.
- Knowledge of characterization techniques for the development of leather products.
- Strong interpersonal skills: ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in written format.