If you know someone who fits this opportunity description, you can share this opportunity with this link: https://bit.ly/35oAqNY
About The Company:
Headquartered north of Santa Barbara in the heart of the Santa Ynez Valley, we are a company focused on utilizing science and sustainability to grow quality, modern crops. Our unmatched commitment to innovating both organic farming and modern manufacturing means our customers have access to products that exceed expectations.
We breed, grow, and cultivate the highest quality cannabis so we can then process, manufacture, and package the highest quality single-source products on the market under our brands.
We are a team of change makers, modern farmers, scientists, and business professionals focused on leading the charge for agricultural innovation.
We are on a mission to be the most trusted and loved brand in Cannabis.
About the Role:
The VP of Agriculture is responsible for strategically and technically managing all facets of our Nursery, Cultivation, IPM, and Packing/Warehouse operations to include building designs, layout and implementation of departments and processes, managing daily operations of sub departments, and providing clear direction to achieve strategy initiatives. Occasionally, daily responsibilities will vary outside of standard job duties. Additionally, the VP of Ag implements and maintains our policies and procedures and ensures compliance with all state and local laws and regulations. The VP of Ag reports directly to the Chief Operations Officer.
What You’ll Do
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Maintain professionalism and live our core values of Teamwork, Innovation, Integrity and Process at all times
- Detail-oriented with an eye on process improvement and optimization.
- Organize workflow by assigning responsibilities.
- Lead all directors within departments to perform in a proficient manner, providing motivation through personal example and interpersonal skills.
- Work with other departments to achieve company success.
- Write, establish, implement, and continuously improve departmental policies, procedures, goals, objectives and duties.
- Accomplish departments KPIs by communicating job expectations, planning, monitoring, and appraising results.
- Developing and coaching directors in subordinate departments, planning, assigning, and directing work, appraising performance, disciplining employees
- Use analytical skills to monitor all production processes and then seek improvements and innovation.
- Ensure employees are following all safety and operating procedures.
- Employ critical thinking and problem-solving skills, including ability to spot issues in efficiency/productivity and suggest improvements
- Work with the Quality Assurance department to enforce it within subordinate departments.
- Monitor and achieve departmental budgeting goals.
- Establish and maintain production efficiencies.
- Lead the team in producing quality products that meet internal specs.
- Perform RCA (Root Cause Analysis) when criteria established by leadership team is not met.
- Assist with designing our facilities and coordinate with construction team to ensure project completion.
- Evaluate new technologies and techniques and implement.
- Hire and train Directors of Nursery, IPM, Cultivation, and Packing/Warehouse.
- Must always conduct oneself professionally and with discretion.
- Coordinate equipment purchases and repairs.
- Maintains accountability of all team members, in relation to specific job description.
- Upholding all Company policies and procedures and resolving any potential procedural changes which may occur within the departments.
- Maintain communications and knowledge with department heads on inventory on a weekly basis.
- Monitor production results regularly while accepting and holding our team accountable for adherence to compliance, facility standards, product yield and quality, and responsible for addressing any deviation.
- Audit all inventory, processes and procedures and resolve any discrepancies.
- Ensuring that Nursery, Cultivation, IPM, and Packing/Warehouse is producing sufficient raw materials to meet the needs of the market.
- Producing quality raw materials free of pests and contaminants.
- Manage Cost Centers for all sub-departments
Controlling & Preventing Loss:
- Expert in product protection.
- Maintain current and up-to-date knowledge of security procedures and protocols as applicable to position and facility.
- Assisting in the execution of monthly product and supply inventory audits as needed
- Maintain current and up to date knowledge of Loss Prevention (LP) procedures
Training & Development
- Recruiting, interviewing and hiring Ag team members.
- Making sure that all team members are current on product knowledge and can train their teams.
- Perform annual performance evaluations.
- Executing performance counseling, when needed.
- Attend meetings as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree in related fields (Business Management, Horticulture, Chemistry, Molecular Biology, Plant Biology, Chemical Engineering, other). Master’s preferred.
- Must have 10+ years’ experience working in Agriculture in a management capacity.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Excellent leadership skills.
- Detail oriented with an eye on process improvement and optimization.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, manage high-stress situations, and be flexible and adaptable when a situation requires.
- Throughout extended periods, must be capable of sitting, squatting, standing, kneeling, bending, or walking through the workday.
- Must be able to handle constructive criticism and guidance and offer the same to others in the departments.
- Ability to work a varying schedule including nights, weekends, and overtime on occasion.
- Understanding of OSHA guidelines for workplace safety and hazardous chemicals.
- Full comprehension of CCC regulations as they relate to Agriculture and production.
- Must be 21 years old.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license and reliable transportation.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Advanced math skills.
- Demonstrated ability to lead cross-functional and diverse team.
- Having organizational skills.
- Having decision making skills.
- Being analytical and strategical.
- Being detail oriented.
- Being proactive.
- Position responsibility include overall strategy, marketing, sales, direction, coordination and evaluation of these areas. This individual will serve as a member of the leadership team and will participate in the overall direction and strategic vision of the organization.
- Lead strategic direction for the Ag Division including the functional areas of Seed making and germination, Mother stock maintenance and regeneration, Crop Protection and Fertility, Precision Cultivation, Packing-house process and raw materials management. Work with functional leads to build and implement tactical action plans from a product and service marketing perspective to support strategic imperatives.
- Understand the Cannabis marketplace from a value and competitive standpoint and develop strategic plan to meet or exceed Gross Margin requirements.
- Supports and encourages cross-divisional collaboration in all areas of the company.
- Manages high level directors and leaders within the organization to maximum performance. Develops and challenges high potential employees to ensure continual learning and development of direct reports.
- Oversees and collaborates with the Precision Ag Director to set the strategic direction of Precision Ag program.
- Provides leadership to Directors in the development and implementation of short and long-term plans regarding product purchasing, placement, programs and people in the market.
- Form communication channels with Ag Operations to ensure smooth delivery of products, programs and services to our customers.
- Participate in the development and maintain the operating budget for department.
- Maintains open communication with vendors.
- Challenge organization design to deliver value to our customers and organization.
- Serve as an advocate for the Cannabis agricultural industry and represent the organization in industry associations and committees.
- Perform all other duties as assigned or inherent to the position
What You’ll Need to Have
- Experience building and refining processes, as the company grows
- Food or agriculture industry experience
- A preference will be given to candidates in vegetable/fruit growing businesses.
- Candidates should have 5+ years of leadership/management experience. Successful candidates will have implemented employee development and feedback systems.
- Candidates should have 10+ years of experience working in controlled environment agriculture.
- Candidates should be proficient and have familiarity working with heavy Ag equipment and greenhouse climate control systems (i.e. Priva/Hoogendorn).
- Candidates should be proficient with computer operations and programs such as Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel Access or other data tracking systems).
- Strong decision-making and troubleshooting skills and methods are essential.
- Expert user of Microsoft Office and/or Google’s G suite
- Functional knowledge of California cannabis regulations
- Must be 21 years of age (or older) at the time of hire
- Proficiency of the English language, verbal and written format
What You’ll Receive
- Competitive base salary and bonus/options plan
- Medical, dental and vision benefits
- 100% Employer Paid LTD
- Vacation, Holidays, & Paid Sick