If you know someone who fits this opportunity description, you can share this opportunity with this link: https://bit.ly/3g0Xgym
Position Description: VP Brand, Marketing and E-Commerce
Boston Proper Highlights:
- Moving to Growth – mid 8-figure revenue forecasting high 8-figure revenue for 2021 and hitting their growth milestones
- Strong balance sheet: – backed by a world-class investment partner in Brentwood Associates
- Strong Customer Base – 250,000 customers with an AOV of $140-$190
- Investing in Marketing – Budget in the 20% range of top-line sales
- Solid Infrastructure & Resources –MarTech stack and senior team reporting in; strong data sets needing strategic oversight and direction particularly on brand consistency
Insights About this Role
This is truly a dream opportunity for the right Vice President of Brand, Marketing and E-Commerce (VP). It is a rare marketing leadership role with an established apparel brand, decades of loyal following, and the financial backing of a world-class private equity investor. BP is in the midst of executing a 3 – 5 year plan to capture market-share and share of wallet through the continued acceleration from print to digital, increased customer engagement via community building coupled with product innovation and the foundation of marketing tech and a committed team marching forward to hit their growth objectives.
The VP will report to the President and have a seat at the table alongside the Strategy, Operations, Finance, Merchandising, and Creative, leadership. The new VP will be a catalyst within management and partner with product and merchandising.
The VP will inherit a talented team across all key areas/channels including eCommerce, customer experience, CRM, paid digital, social media, content, and business/customer analytics, merchandising, design, and others. As such, the VP will be in the enviable position of stepping into a purpose-built environment with financial support, talent, technical capabilities, and budget–all tailored to enable immediate success.
The selected VPM will bring a superpower in performance marketing from a career in e-commerce environments. Her/his reputation will go beyond just driving traffic, to owning the number (both revenue growth and margin) and engaging a community of customer-raving fans. The VP will be steeped in data-driven marketing strategy and know the levers to pull as they manage CAC, increase AOV through content and merchandising programs, and look at product innovation opportunities for increased upsell and cross-sell opportunities yielding enhanced LTV.
Today, BP has a list of 250,000 customers. They’ve leveraged channels like Email, Display, Affiliate, Paid Search, and been successful with Influencer and Social campaigns. A ton of opportunities exist to continue to move the needle across all things digital and performance marketing to hit growth targets and set the company up for a lucrative exit.
Critical Selection Criteria
- E-commerce Veteran (non-subscription)
- Mastery of multi-channel, digital performance marketing; informed and optimized by insights from data analytics; experience extracting the insights to inform decision-making, oversight of execution and ownership of results
- Experience building Consumer Brands by leveraging digital content and social influence; ideally out of established as well as challenger brands
- Consistently grown sales across multiple SKUs; not just a marketer, but also a Revenue Owner
- Ideally out of fashion/apparel but definitely steeped in dynamic, fast-moving Consumer sectors with similar cadence where emotional is a part of the purchase decision (e.g. Beauty )
- Experience operating at similar stage and scale as BP is today and will be over the next 3-4 years
- Proven ability to be a true Strategic Business Partner who can work closely and collaboratively with executive team and all functional leaders
- Mover and a Shaker – rolling up his/her sleeves to get the job done with boundless energy.
- Polished Executive Presence: Smart, confident, take-charge marketing leader who can present and convince
- Team Builder & Team Player
Other Responsibilities and Deliverables
- Develop an integrated marketing plan; social, events and editorial calendar that strategically hits BP’s audience across most touch points; Manage and maintain all aspects of marketing planning, budgeting, metrics and reporting
- Drive and implement all marketing activities to ensure on-brand awareness as well as optimized conversion and yield as well as community building
- Own and develop all marketing KPI’s and departmental reporting; track and report on all marketing led initiatives
- Create and implement innovative campaigns for new product/category launches
- Work closely with Finance to assure budget is balanced and act as the approver for marketing related spending
- Partner Marketing is an opportunity for growth at BP. Experience and desire would be a big +
Key Personnel/Cultural Characteristics
- Smart & Nimble: High IQ and EQ – a proven “quick study” who has adapted quickly to changing technologies, models and market dynamics
- Decisive and driven to succeed; able to drive critical-path decisions, prioritize and resource projects and programs that will ensure success; unquestioned work ethic
- Hands-on: A major bias toward getting things done; action and results oriented; a doer (not just a delegator)
- Leader and motivator: You’re a builder of high-performance teams and companies delivering high-performance results; high EQ and a gifted listener
- High energy w/ the personal freedom to put in the time it will take to get BP to and through a successful exit
- Passionate: Excited about taking on the exciting challenges of building Boston Proper. You’re someone not afraid to ask and answer the tough questions.
- Innovator: Innovation is a core value at BP and a huge opportunity for Marketing to move the needle both in campaign tactics and broader marketing strategies. And something you’ll need to have fully baked into your operational DNA as well.
- Great communicator: Communication and collaboration are major pillars at BP. You’ll bring a polished presence, self-confidence and a certain level of intensity; able to create productive team dynamics; inspire, persuade and motivate.
- Execution and no ego: A tactfully aggressive street fighter who is not afraid to take on the heavy lifting and lead by example.
- Player-coach who leads teams by example and mentors people to realize their potential, but also is a playmaker who isn’t afraid to jump in and get things done, whenever and wherever needed.
- Entrepreneurial: Flexible and resourceful, with a figure-it-out-and-get-it-done mentality.