If you know someone who fits this opportunity description, you can share this opportunity with this link: https://bit.ly/2Uo99pk
Insights About this Role
CCA is THE powerhouse cannabis company in California vertically integrated, with a strong consumer following that already loves and is highly loyal to its products. On top of that, CCA (via its Raw Garden brand) is the best positioned company in the entire country to move into a national marketplace when that because possible.
This role is if for a VP Marketing who can essentially build a marketing function and department end to end from the ground up, and help continue and accelerate the momentum CCA has already developed with minimal to no marketing to date.
Ideally, the company is looking for someone who has a mix of skills honed from being part of a larger organization, as well as a smaller challenger brand. You will, for example, bring skills as a shared services provider, offering support to sales and marketing across the board.
But you will also need experience and a track record of successfully launching new brands and products developing, distilling, and spreading the message and story in campaigns that stick in the heads of customers across the full spectrum of cannabis consumers.
The ideal VP Marketing is a strategic thinker, but execution minded as well. They should have experience joining the branding and creative sides to gain sales lift and conversions. Ideally, they bring a strong network of previous employees and a posse of specialist agencies/consultants eager to get the band back together!
Key Mandates for the CCA VP of Marketing
- Focus marketing on the product. Amplify what consumers are already saying (Raw Garden has over 100k Instagram followings in a private, invitation only account). Social and community aspects of the marketing effort will be a major focus of your efforts (or your team’s efforts) for Raw Garden.
- Content Marketing is a large part of the VPM’s remit. The content, cadence and reach will be key aspects of enhancing a cult brand to a much larger, more mainstream audience.
- Field Marketing is a key lever in the current cannabis ecosystem so the VPM will ideally bring experience and success from a similar wholesale sell into retail sell through model
- Own and drive consumer market research. CCA currently utilizes external agencies and products to survey consumers and gather market research but in a very rudimentary way. Due to the nascent industry and its regulatory challenges, the company does not have access to a lot of data currently, that will change.
- Build a high achieving, highly motivated results oriented team, with individuals and/or expertise in such areas as SEO, community building, creative and design, and others. Note that none of this currently exists today.
- Facilitate timely and engaging responses to engagement across all social platforms.
- Polish the brand, but without sacrificing its hard won authenticity with users
Built and burnished “challenger” brands. The VPM should bring experience building consumer brands, including existing brands and some that need to be built from the ground up. Captured the story and narrative and crafted positioning and messaging that stuck in the heads of consumers and fueled growth.
- Owned full stack marketing services function and teams comprising an in house agency from creative, content, copy and design; delivered an impressive portfolio of assets and a track record of successful campaigns
- Experience growing sales across multiple SKUs at growing scale is essential. Managing spend is only half the job of marketing at CCA it’s also about owning revenue growth.
- Mastery of multi channel performance marketing informed and optimized by insights from data analytics. The VPM must be more than someone who looks at data; you must be prepared and experienced as using the insights for actual decision making.
- Proven ability to be a true Strategic Business Partner who can work closely and collaboratively with top leadership to not just hit growth and margin targets, but to see the future of where CCA should be headed.
- Extensive experience interacting with senior leadership. The VPM should possess the presence, confidence, and ability to make a convincing business case.
- Experienced with thought leadership and sales enablement, while taking marketing efforts up a notch across the board.
Other Duties & Responsibilities
- Drive and implement all marketing activities to ensure on brand positioning and awareness.
- Develop and maintain a strategic market segmentation that identifies market needs by customer and behaviors and creates actionable profiles that are leveraged to improve the accuracy of sales and marketing initiatives.
- Oversee the creation of unique sales and marketing collateral.
- Develop an integrated marketing plan; events and editorial calendar that strategically hits every potential target audience touchpoint.
- Create and implement comprehensive go to market strategies and plans for new product/category launches.
- Track and report on all marketing led initiatives.
- Manage and maintain all aspects of marketing planning, budgeting, metrics and reporting.
- Work closely with Finance to assure budget is balanced and act as the approver for marketing related spending.
Key Personality/Cultural Characteristics
CCA’s is a diverse employee population from cultivation, manufacturing to the corporate side including sales, marketing, and product. That said, across the board, there is a culture by design that is evolving. A good cultural fit will be someone more interested in “getting it right” than “being right.” The selected VPM will embrace the following cultural traits of CCA
- “Radical Candor” is one of the books that best describes CCA’s culture. At the heart of radical candor are two principles: a manager should personally care about their employees and challenge them in their work. They deliver AND solicit constructive criticism. You should be eager for direct feedback, and someone who does not dance around the issues.
- Communication at CCA is open and direct, and the working environment ensures great ideas to emerge, and individuals to reach their full potential. We’re all about problem solving, letting nothing linger, and leaving nothing unsaid! You can say whatever you want, so long as it is civil and it’s not personal.
- “Play Bigger” is the other best selling book that is embedded in CCA’s culture. It embraces Category Design doing something DIFFERENT not just something BETTER. Category kings play for bigger stakes and more significant impact, moving past disruption and incremental improvements to create something that didn’t exist before. Don’t just innovate change the game!
- Hands on: A major bias toward getting things done quickly.
- Entrepreneurial: Flexible and resourceful, with a figure it out and get it done mentality.
- Smart & insightful: High intellectual bandwidth, but also street smarts and the gut to make the tough calls that don’t always flow from the data.