If you know someone who fits this opportunity description, you can share this opportunity with this link: https://bit.ly/2yGrzXw
Insights About this Role
Rapid growth. Team building. Imagination. Positivity. And SCALE, SCALE, SCALE. These are the hallmarks of what the VP Engineering (VPE) role will be about at FIGS.
The VP Engineering will own EVERYTHING involving the ecommerce platform, websites, technical integrations and the associated engineering team(s). You’ll play a vital seat-at-the-table role in building out FIGS’ technical foundations and helping guide the future of the company. You’ll be building around and on top of Shopify, as well as optimizing what’s already in place and creating in-house technology solutions.
Your engineering/tech ownership includes everything that’s being coded, developed and built in-house to support not only where the company is now, but where it will be soon as something vastly larger.
You’re the person who will get FIGS to where it is going from a technical perspective.
You’ll need to have seen this movie before at a leading, top-tier tech company that’s successfully scaled and built revolutionary things.
The right VPE is someone who can thrive in an incredibly dynamic environment and has a track record of technical expertise and rolling up his/her sleeves, along with management responsibility. In addition, you’ll ensure the engineering teams are happy, productive, and motivated to excel at their jobs. Your team will be responsible for enhancing the backend, and delivering new features and high-quality releases in a timely manner.
An amazing engineering team of 10 (7 outsourced) is already in place. You’ll start with that–but be expected to think deeply and quickly about how to structure a team that will scale quickly to 30 or 40 and eventually to hundreds.
FIGS is heavily data and analytics oriented and is moving fast to scale its in-house capabilities in this realm. To kick off that initiative, the company has recently hired a head of Data Science who will be building out a data science team that will work closely with the VPE and entire engineering team.
At FIGS, your opportunities will include becoming a true PARTNER within the senior leadership team, building a massive engineering team, and taking the company to the moon in terms of technology.
FIGS has extremely high standards. They don’t take excellence lightly. Anyone joining the tight-knit team is buying into doing what it takes to build an iconic brand and company.
Be prepared to constantly innovate, create cool new stuff and move really, really quickly. This is no 9-5 position by any stretch of the imagination. It’s about sustaining hyper-growth that’s been in the 600% year-over-year range.
Core Competencies for the FIGS VP Engineering
- Proven ability to build, manage and scale a complete engineering team, from 10 to hundreds.
- Ability to lead from a place of positivity and optimism. FIGS is a place where everyone believes that anything is possible, and they deliver on that daily. The VPE won’t be a pure analytical mind; you’ll need to also bring a high-energy, highly positive make-it-happen mindset.
- Ability (i.e. coding, et al) and willingness to be highly hands on in addition to leading from the front.
Key Success Metrics
- Increase site speed on desktop and mobile.
- Increase the efficiency of the engineering team.
- Grow the engineering team to provide the support needed.
- Establish clear lines of communication between the company and the engineering team.
- Set up the foundation and infrastructure for the growth of FIGS’ tech.
- Manage and optimize the ecommerce site by making it even more beautiful, functional and amazing. Examples might be building new landing pages for specific products; improved functionality for returns and exchange, upselling/cross selling, and referrals.
- Build out a B2B portal that currently is a 1.0 version into something more sophisticated and functional.
- Manage outside integrations, APIs and such things as customized sites for major clients that might include hospitals or universities.
- Decide if/when developing a mobile app is appropriate and execute on it.
- Start making things happen from Day One. Make quick decisions and provide insights to guide future decision-making. Don‘t be afraid to fail fast and move to something else.
- Provide leadership, motivation and hands-on direction for the engineering team.
- Establish the company’s technical vision and lead technology development, in line with FIGS’ strategic direction and growth objectives.
- Establish and implement technical standards and ensure they are adhered to.
- Anticipate and react to major technology changes.
- Be accountable for all engineering decisions, vendor choices, data security, disaster recovery and related functions.
- Be a brand ambassador for FIGS.
Experience & Key Qualifications
- Bachelor’s Degree in science, programming or an engineering related field. FIGS does consider education at a top institution to be important…to a point. It also values education that’s been gained through the right experience at the right organization.
- 6+ years of experience in software development or engineering field.
- 3+ years of experience managing engineers.
- 3+ years of experience managing multiple teams.
- Ecommerce experience preferred, but not required.
- Public cloud experience, AWS preferred.
- A strong background in technical design/architecture in a distributed environment.
- Strong communication (written, verbal) skills.
- Experience with SQL databases, including data modeling in SQL, the use of indices to improve query performance, and the use of transactions to maintain data integrity.
- Experience with the implementation of enterprise applications such as NetSuite.
- Experience working with REST APIs.
- A solid understanding of the Shopify API, Shopify Apps, and Themes.
- Amazon Redshift, experience with Concourse, Jenkins or other CI software.
- Experience with modern front-end frameworks like React, Vue.js.
Key Personal/Cultural Characteristics
- Passionate: Excited about taking on the super exciting challenges of build FIGS into an iconic brand. You’re someone not afraid to ask and answer the tough questions.
- Innovator: Innovation is a core value at FIGS, and something you’ll need to have fully baked into your operational DNA as well.
- Leader and motivator: You’re a builder of high-performance teams and companies delivering high-performance results.
- A desire to be part of a groundbreaking company that’s building an entire industry anew from the ground up and doing it with style, flair and the kind of speed and innovation the likes of which the world has never seen.
- Risk taker: You aren’t afraid to try things; break things; fail fast and move to or rebuild something even better. Sure, you’re agile, iterative and test everything. But you also can thrive on ambiguity, take risks, make mistakes and course-correct quickly.
- Great communicator: Communication and collaboration are major pillars at FIGS. You’ll bring a polished presence, self-confidence and a certain level of intensity; able to create productive team dynamics; inspire, persuade and motivate.
- Execution and no ego: A tactfully aggressive street fighter who is not afraid to take on the heavy lifting and lead by example.
- Player-coach who leads teams by example and mentors people to realize their potential, but also is a playmaker who isn’t afraid to jump in and lend a hand to get things done, whenever and wherever needed.
- Hands-on: A major bias toward getting things done quickly.
- Entrepreneurial: Flexible and resourceful, with a figure-it-out-and-get-it-done mentality.
- Smart & insightful: High intellectual bandwidth, but also street smarts and the gut to make the tough calls that don’t always flow from the data.